Katrina Relief
I have been so busy I forgot to post about this. Well, since I don't have much moolah to spare, I thought about knitting squares for making blankets - but turns out I have no time to knit at all.
But then it turns out that my roommate's employer was doing a 1:2 donation match for employees' donations. So I put in $10 and my bf put in $20. So our $30 donation was matched with $60 = $90 donated from our $30 contribution!! In total, his fellow co-workers donated $300 from their paychecks which resulted in a $600 match from the company = $900!! I don't want to say the company's name....but they make springs. and you may have seen their name on the wall of a certain MTV car show (but that isn't the company, it's just the name of the other company is on the wall and you can see it on a couple episodes. damn, i want my car pimped....)
And one of my classmates was moved by his 4 year old son. His son told him that they needed to help the people who lost their homes. So he decided to auction off his one of his brand new mountain bikes. I think he said it retails for over $800. So far, I think he has raised over $300! And he keeps saying that the funds are being donated my our class - what school spirit!! Yeah, usually I'm not all into school spirit, but this is so great! I also pointed out to him that the check needs to say "Katrina Relief" on it when it's written out to the Red Cross. Let me jog your memory about a certain tsunami and Red Cross scandal about where donated funds were actually being distributed other than directly to helping the tsunami victums. If you just write "Red Cross" on the check, they are at liberty to disperse that check as they wish. But, if you also write "Katrina Relief," then they have to put the funds directly into that.







0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home